Egg Foo Younger is a fluffy Chinese egg omelette filled with greens and pork or shrimp, smothered in a tasty Chinese Sauce. An straightforward Chinese recipe that’s quick to make and versatile as you want it to be.
Homemade Chinese takeout recipes are one particular of my favourite fast dinners, from Chow Mein to Beef and Broccoli, Cashew Chicken to Kung Pao Chicken. While Egg Foo Young might not be an authentic Chinese recipe, we adore it anyway!
Egg Foo Youthful – terrific rapid dinner notion!
I know most of us feel of omelettes as a breakfast thing and no matter how typically I endorse it for dinner, I come to feel like it will never stick.
But trust the Chinese to come up with a way to plant omelettes firmly in the dinner rotation!!
“Egg Foo Young is a recipe invented to use up leftovers. So don’t get as well hung up if you don’t have all the veggies – in truth, you Ought to use what you have!”
What is Egg Foo Younger?
Egg Foo Young is a Chinese omelette – egg mixed with veggies and generally some variety of protein (prawns / shrimp or pork are widespread) then smothered in a Chinese stir fry sauce.
The fillings differ as much as the name, which is sometimes spelled egg foo yung, egg fu yung or egg foo yong. Sort of like the several spelling variations we see for San Choy Bow (Chinese Lettuce Cups)!
Egg Foo Younger seems on Chinese menus in some countries just as “omelette”. Sometimes they are smaller sized, like I’ve made them, and occasionally as large as dinner plates!
The Egg Foo Younger Formula
Egg Foo Younger can be produced with virtually any veggies and proteins simply because it’s a recipe that evolved as a way to use up leftovers. Use:
two cups of “stuff” for every six eggs.
“Stuff” currently being cooked proteins, raw shrimp/prawns, fish, mince/ground meat and vegetables.
Any raw veggies that are finely chopped adequate to cook via in a number of minutes in the omelette are perfect right here. If utilizing veggies that will get longer to cook, for example, diced zucchini, then saut 1st in a small oil and perhaps garlic for additional flavour, then add to the batter.
How to make Egg Foo Younger
Although Egg Foo Youthful fillings vary due to the fact it’s a leftovers recipe, I’d say prawn/shrimp and pork are the two most frequent versions so I’m sharing each of these today.
- Make the Egg Foo Youthful gravy 1st: just soy sauce, Oyster sauce, Chinese cooking wine (Shaoxing wine) OR Mirin*, sesame oil, cornflour/cornstarch for thickening and pepper. Just combine and simmer to thicken
- Pork or other mince/ground meat alternative: If creating a pork or other ground/mince meat edition, combine by means of soy sauce, sugar and oyster sauce to include flavour. Then drop in dollops of the raw pork straight into the egg mixture. Believe in me, it cooks by way of in the time it requires for the omelette cooks!
- Prawn / Shrimp selection: If creating the shrimp model, just drop the raw shrimp straight into the batter. If you’re shrimp are massive, chop them into modest pieces
- Include veggies: Now add whatever greens you’re employing. In this recipe I use bean sprouts and green onions.
- Cooking Egg Foo Younger is no various to cooking a typical omelette! Simple ladle the mixture into a skillet and cook.
- Serve smothered in the tasty Egg Foo Younger gravy!
Egg Foo Younger is a Westernised version of a Chinese dish, much like numerous Chinese takeout favourites like Chow Mein and Beef and Broccoli. In China, there are stuffed omelettes but it’s not doused in a thick brown gravy like Egg Foo Youthful, they are typically just drizzled with soy sauce.
Egg Foo Younger is a single of the healthiest Chinese takeout meals if manufactured at residence! Although eating places have a tendency to cook the omelettes in a Lot of oil, when produced at house it’s a minimal fat, substantial protein, low carb dinner alternative.
Load it up with added nutrition by topping it with a handful of further greens like fresh bean sprouts, as pictured.
And ahead of you request – YES the Egg Foo Young Sauce can be created with Charlie*. Directions are in Note 1 of the recipe! – Nagi x
* Charlie is my standby All Goal Chinese Stir Fry Sauce. Simple to make, lasts for weeks, just add water!
Far more Chinese Takeout Favorites
- Fried Rice
- Spring Rolls
- Cashew Chicken
- Kung Pao Chicken
- Beef and Broccoli
- Char Siu (Chinese BBQ Pork)
- See all Chinese Takeout Recipes
Egg Foo Youthful
Watch how to make it
In the video, I manufactured a half batch of every single pork and prawn/shrimp Egg Foo Young.
Hungry for more? Subscribe to my newsletter and adhere to along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the most recent updates.